Thursday 29 May 2014

Day 4 - Reflections

Compared to the past few days, today is pretty different. We spent almost the entire day in National Tsing Hua University. We even had lunch there with the students. After dinner, we went to the tuition street and wanted to conduct street survey for the students there. However, as most students are attending lessons, we are unable to do so. After spending a day out there, I learnt a few things.

Firstly, I learnt that there is a few differences between the universities in Taiwan and Singapore. According to the professor, the lecturer in Taiwan is much more friendlier than the lecturers in other countries. Also, the education system is in way more "flexible". For example, during the exam, the student can answer in any language they want. Secondly, I learnt that tuition is very common in Taiwan. There is so much advertisement out there for tuition. I find some of the conditions for the tuition very scary. Almost all tuition lasts for 3 hours. And the fees can sometimes be really expensive. Thirdly, I felt that the students here are much more self disciplined as compared to most of us. The students here can sit down there and study for two hours straight with an occasionally 10 min break. Despite the amount of questions asked today, I still have a few questions in mind. Why is that the students here are so motivated to perform well in exam? And I really want to know how the students felt about having tuition. Is it causing them more stress since they will have more homework. I find the time spent in the tuition centre the most interesting. It is definitely something that I won't see in Singapore. I believe that I will never ever see 300 students in one classroom just to listen to a particular lecturer. They were all so focused and serious... I will definitely share with my friends about this. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment